Monday, February 25, 2013

Happy Anniversary to Bryan: Promising to always "Fall Forward"

Today Bryan and I celebrate 7 years of marriage.  It's amazing how quickly these 7 years have passed by.  Along the way, we've had our fair share of challenges but also many victories as we've learned to work together as a team.  Today I thank God for a man that still chooses me, in spite of the reality of who I am in my ugliest moments.  A man who promises to stand by his commitment, regardless of how he may feel on any given day.  A man who still cherishes me, calls me his beautiful bride, and esteems me for the God-given value he sees inside of me.

I recently read a book called Sacred Marriage, by Gary Thomas.  Below is an excerpt about what it means to "fall forward" in our marriage.  I love this illustration about what it means to fall toward our spouse.

"Many years ago, I and a few close friends celebrated our high school graduation by hiking on Mount Rainier.  Before I attempted to jump a fast-moving creek, one of my friends advised me, "Just make sure you fall forward."  The advice was well heeded.  Even if I didn't make the jump, as long as I kept my momentum going forward, I wouldn't be swept into the stream.

The advice has stayed with me down through the years, as I believe that Christian marriage is also about learning to fall forward.  Obstacles arise, anger flares up, and weariness dulls our feelings and our senses.  When this happens the spiritually immature respond by pulling back, becoming more distant from their spouse, or even seeking to start over with somebody "more exciting."  Yet maturity is reached by continuing to more forward past the pain and apathy. Falls are inevitable.  We can't control that, but we can control the direction in which we fall--toward or away from our spouse."

Thank God that we choose daily to fall forward.  Bryan, thank you for always standing by my side and choosing to fall forward!  Happy anniversary, honey, to the man I love and my best friend!  Thank you for making life fun, exciting, and challenging at times (which is needed for my stubborn-self!).  I really don't think I had any idea 7 years ago how exactly perfect you are for me when I said "I do."  I have never regretted that decision, and I too choose you still today!  I'm excited for many more years to come!  Here's to a lifetime of falling forward with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment